Manipuri Boxer Sarjubala Devi settled for Silver medal in the AIBA Women World Boxing Championship, Jeju, South Korea. In the final match of the light weight category, Sarjubala was defeated by Kazakhstan boxer Nazym Kyzaibay by 37:39, 37:39, 37:39. Sarjubala,a two time national champion, backed Kyzaibay into the corner and landed with both her left and right as she took the first round 10:9 across the board. The Kazakh boxer worked out the Indian in the second and used her reach well to avoid Sarjubala’s flurries and hit back on the counter. Sarjubala continued to press forward to try to hustle Kyzaibay but the Kazakh kept her cool and waited for the right moment to counter decisively.Kyzaibay stuck to her strategy for the remaining two rounds, boxing on the inside at the time of her choosing and forcing Sarjubala to commit herself fully on the attack. The Indian corner failed to adapt to the Kazakh’s style and ended up conceding the last two rounds and the gold to Kyzaibay on a unanimous decision. It has been a memorable week for the 21-year-old, who was making her debut at the World Championships, and she left her mark on the field with her relentless attacking style that cowered many an opponent into submission. Sarjubala has shown enough promise to build for an assault at the Olympic Flyweight division in 2016 and 2020.
Manipuri Boxer Sarjubala Devi settles for Silver in AIBA Women World Boxing Championship
Latest from Joyshree Usham
- HIDDEN TALENTS AT MANIPUR’S RELIEF CAMPS
- 2 SUSPECTED KUKI MILITANTS KILLED, 2 NABBED BY MYANMAR ARMY AT NAMPHALONG
- CBI ARRESTS ONE MORE IN TWO-STUDENTS MURDER CASE; SECURITY PERSONNEL WHO HINDERED PRESS FREEDOM WILL BE REPRIMANDED: KULDIEP SINGH
- MSF CELEBRATES SILVER JUBILEE; L. NANDAKUMAR CALLS FOR A BALANCED APPROACH TO EDUCATION
- SECURITY FORCES PREVENT MEDIA PERSONS FROM PERFORMING DUTIES AT SABUNGKHOK KHUNOU
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.