Imphal, 18 March 2018 ( Evening News ) : Cheiraoba, one of the biggest festivals of the Meitei community is celebrated across the state today. Believed to have been started during the reign of King Maliya Fambalcha, people welcome the new year by offering seasonal flowers, fruits and vegetables to god and preparing special dishes on the day. Every family prepares special dishes and offer them to the local deities at their gates praying for happiness and prosperity. Neighbours also exchange the special dishes prepared for the day. Married women present gifts to their parents and brothers on the occasion. The younger generation also seek the blessings of the elders in the family. After the feast, people climb hills in the afternoon as a tradition. President Ram Nath Kovind, Governor Dr Najma Heptulla, and Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren had extended their greetings to the people on the occasion and wished that the festival brings peace, prosperity and love among the communities of the state.
People celebrate Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba with traditional fervour and gaiety
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Professor AP Pandey nullifies leave extended to him; claims resumption of duty
- Suspected plastic eggs scare customers and eatery owner at Moirang Leirak Jiri Parking
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.