Imphal, 05 April 2018 ( Evening News ) : India has won one gold and one silver on the opening day of the Goldcoast Commonwealth Games today. Reigning World Champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu won India's first Gold Medal. She won the coveted yellow metal in the 48 kg category with a total lift of 196 kg. Weightlifter P Gururaja opened India's medal account by claiming a silver in the men's 56kg category. The 25-year-old Gururaja, making his Commonwealth Games debut, equalled his personal best of 249kg to finish second in a field. Malaysia's three-time Commonwealth Championships medallist Muhammad Izhar Ahmed won the Gold, while Sri Lanka's Lakmal Chaturanga collected the Bronze. In men's team badminton competition, Indian shuttlers blanked Sri Lanka in a largely lop-sided preliminary clash of the event. In women's team table-tennis, India thrashed Sri Lanka 3-0 in a group match. However, in Women's Hockey India made a disappointing start. The team went down 2-3 to Wales, after trailing for most of the Group A clash.
Reigning World Champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bags India's first Gold Medal on the opening day of the Goldcoast CG 2018
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Suspected plastic eggs scare customers and eatery owner at Moirang Leirak Jiri Parking
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
- Five major student organisations AMSU, MSF, SUK, AIMS and KSA resolve to support MUSU's 48 hour general strike
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.