Imphal, 17 July 2018 ( Evening News ) : Students were yet again injured during their agitation in demand for dismissal of the VC of Manipur University today. Student protestors under the initiative of Democratic Students Alliance of Manipur (DESAM) burnt the effigies of the Chief Minister, Union HRD Minister and VC of Manipur University in front of Kangla around 2 this afternoon chanting various slogans. Massive force of Manipur Police rushed at the spot to contain the situation. Scuffles ensued as Police personnel tried to arrest the agitating students. The irate students then ran toward the CM's Bungalow and stormed the Bungalow. As soon as the agitating students reached the gate of CM's Bungalow, they started pulling away the police barricade and chanted various slogans. Police personnel posted on duty at the site tried to drive the students away but the situation was very tense and hence resorted to lathi charge. Police personnel also detained some students including a girl student and drove the other protesting students away from the bungalow. Few minutes later, the students returned again after reaching the bungalow’s turning point. The police personnel then detained the crowd and urged them to leave the place. The student protestors did not give in to the request and continued to agitate chanting various slogans to defend students' rights and condemning the manhandling the protesting students by Police personnel. Later, massive police force was deployed to finally contain the situation.
Students sustain injury as agitating students burn effigies and storm CM’s bungalow
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Professor AP Pandey nullifies leave extended to him; claims resumption of duty
- Suspected plastic eggs scare customers and eatery owner at Moirang Leirak Jiri Parking
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.