Imphal, 22 August 2017 ( Evening News ) : Services at public sector banks are hit as employee unions are on a nationwide strike. Banks in Manipur today ceased work in support of strike against the proposed consolidation of public sector banks, inadequate capital support for banks and loan defaults by large borrowers. The strike has been called by the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella body of nine unions including the All Indian Bank Officers Confederation and All India Bank Employees’ Association (AIBEA). Unions are demanding that banks should not write off non-performing assets (NPAs) and that wilful default be declared a criminal offence. In Imphal the strike was launched by the United Forum of Bank Union, Manipur State Committee in front of State Bank of India, SBI, MG Avenue. The protestors alos chanted slogans. Co-Convenor of Committee, Soibam Indrakumar said Bank is an institute that protects the property of the people. He said the savings of the people strengthen the banks and the banks in turn make the country stronger. He said India was not affected by the financial crisis in 2008 because India had Nationalised Sector Banking Industry. The Employees condemned the steps of the government and asserted that people’s money should be utilised for people’s welfare.
Nationwide strike services at public sector banks
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Professor AP Pandey nullifies leave extended to him; claims resumption of duty
- Suspected plastic eggs scare customers and eatery owner at Moirang Leirak Jiri Parking
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.