Breaking News

     Default scrolling announcements

Items filtered by date: Monday, 02 August 2021

Imphal West Police arrests 3 men with betel leaves worth around 5 lakh 40 thousand Rupees during frisking at Kanglatombi

Police seized 18 baskets of betel leaves worth around 5 lakh 40 thousand Rupees in the wee hours of August 2.  Acting on a tip off, a team of Imphal West Police under the overall supervision of Imphal West SP Dr. S. Ibomcha arrested three miscreants along with the illegal consignment. 

The police team led by Jamandar of Commando Unit SR Shimmy intercepted two Maruti vans bearing registration numbers MN-01W-9120 and MN-01W-8725 and a Maruti Wagon-R bearing Registration number MN-03 A-2837 at Kanglatombi and recovered the items upon checking the vehicles. As per police report, the drivers are 24-Year-Old Chingakham Surchandra, son of Ch. Ningthoujao from Tairenpokpi Awang leikai, 27-Year-Old Wangkhem Sanjit, son of  W. Sanaton from Changangei Awang leikai and 34-Year-Old Khwairakpam Manglem, son of Kh. Ponam from Kangpokpi Bazaar.

Police investigation further revealed that the consignment was lifted from a godown in Keithelmanbi, Kangpokpi District and it belongs to RS Transport. Arrested persons, the seized betel leaves and the vehicles have been handed over to Sekmai Police Station for further legal actions.

Published in News

Locals blame Imphal East Commando for Md Farish's drowning; Manipur Muslim Council demands government to pay compensation to bereaved family

Residents of Hatta Golapati today erupted into agitation in connection with Md. Farish Khan's drowning in the Imphal River. Protestors said, Imphal East Commando should be held responsible for the missing youth. They said that if the Commando team had to inform them about the incident on time, Farish could have been saved. Protestors alleged that the Police team frightened him leading to the unfortunate incident. Speaking to Impact News today, President of Manipur Muslim Council Haji Arafat expressed sadness over the incident.  He appealed to the police to stop creating fear psychosis in the name of curfew. Haji Arafat also urged the Government to provide necessary aid to the bereaved family.

The drowned youth is 26-Year-Old Md. Farish Khan, son of late lslau Wangmayum of Sangaiyumfam, Mairen village. Reportedly, he was staying at his sister Romina's place at  Golapati Maning Leikai. Impact News sources said that at the time of the incident, Farish was playing football with his friends near KR lane, Golapati GESCDO ground. When he saw a team of lmphal East Commando tightening COVID curfew in the area around 5PM yesterday, he ran away from the police and jumped in the Imphal river. Locals then approached Imphal East DC office, upon which Additional Deputy Commissioner, Imphal East District, Shamim Ahmad Shah requested to the Director of Relief and Disaster Management, Manipur to send NDRF and SDRF search and rescue teams. Combined team of NDRF and SDRF frantically searched for the body till late last night but couldn’t find his body. The team continued search operation using two boats since 7 this morning but couldn't find his body till the time of filing this report.

National Disaster Response Force Team Commander H. Thang Joshep told Impact News that water level has risen owing to rain and his body might have been swept away. He said, they will try their best to find his body though it might take couple of days.

Published in News