Imphal, 29 June 2016 ( Evening News) : Olympic Day Run 2016 was observed in the state as held across the world. Manipur Olympic Association and Youth Affairs and Sports jointly organised the Run at Khuman Lampak Main Stadium. Many International, National and state players including Olympian, Coaches and representatives of different associations attended the event. As part of the event, Olympic bronze medallist boxer and Rajya Sabha MP Mary Kom honoured players and people who took major role in developing sports in the state. It was on June 23, 1894 that Pierre de Coubertin's dream became reality and the International Olympic Committee, IOC was born. The 42nd Session of the IOC held in 1948 in St Moritz, Switzerland, decided to celebrate Olympic Day on June 23 in commemoration of the anniversary of the IOC and the Olympic Movement. Accordingly, the first Olympic Day Run in modern Olympic history was celebrated by the IOC in the same year in association with 9 national Olympic committees. The countries were Austria, Belgium, Canada, Great Britain, Greece, Portugal, Uruguay, Venezuela and Switzerland. The day was first observed in Manipur on June 23, 1984.
Olympic Day Run 2016 was observed in the state as held across the world
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
- Five major student organisations AMSU, MSF, SUK, AIMS and KSA resolve to support MUSU's 48 hour general strike
- Students sustain injury as agitating students burn effigies and storm CM’s bungalow
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.