Imphal, 20 December 2016 ( Evening News ) : Police today fired tear gas shells as protestors intensified counter blockade against the UNC's indefinite economic blockade at Khonghampat. A large number of people came out on the road since early morning and halted vehicles coming from Imphal towards Sekmai. They checked the vehicles before turning them back towards Imphal. 17 large bags containing second hand clothes which were pulled down from a BRTF vehicle in the wee hours today were also lying near the road. They halted a Bolero jeep which came along with police vehicles around 11am. This resulted in confrontation between the police personnel and the protestors. The protestors asked the police to turn back and did not allow movement of all vehicles on the road. They pulled out the second hand clothes from the bags and set them on fire in the middle of the road. When the tussle between the crowd and police was going on, a team of Imphal West police reached the spot and fired tear gas shells to control the crowd. Protestors also pelted stones at the police forcing the police to fire numerous tear gas shells to control the mob. It took nearly half an hour to put the situation under control.
Police fire tear gas shells as people intensify counter blockade at Khonghampat since early morning
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Sit-in protest against the arrest of Aribam Rikesh
- Congress Spokesperson Khumukcham Joykisan demands the state Govt to clarify if the ceasefire between NSCN-IM and Indian Govt includes Manipur
- Chief Minister, Nongthombam Biren launches pradhan mantri dialysis programme; patients to receive free dialysis under the programme
- At least 2000 houses and paddy fields have been submerged under flood waters in Khundrakpam
- Minister Biswajit discusses trade prospects between Manipur and Baoshan in agriculture, hand-loom and handicrafts products
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.