Imphal, 20 December 2016 ( Evening News ) : Police today fired tear gas shells as protestors intensified counter blockade against the UNC's indefinite economic blockade at Khonghampat. A large number of people came out on the road since early morning and halted vehicles coming from Imphal towards Sekmai. They checked the vehicles before turning them back towards Imphal. 17 large bags containing second hand clothes which were pulled down from a BRTF vehicle in the wee hours today were also lying near the road. They halted a Bolero jeep which came along with police vehicles around 11am. This resulted in confrontation between the police personnel and the protestors. The protestors asked the police to turn back and did not allow movement of all vehicles on the road. They pulled out the second hand clothes from the bags and set them on fire in the middle of the road. When the tussle between the crowd and police was going on, a team of Imphal West police reached the spot and fired tear gas shells to control the crowd. Protestors also pelted stones at the police forcing the police to fire numerous tear gas shells to control the mob. It took nearly half an hour to put the situation under control.
Police fire tear gas shells as people intensify counter blockade at Khonghampat since early morning
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Candidates sign UCM and CCSK Manipur “Pledge to the People of Manipur” on framework agreement
- Political parties intensify election campaign, PM Modi to speak at a election rally at Langjing Achouba tomorrow
- In the first attack on candidate in the 11th assembly elections, gunmen ambush Gaikhangam in Thingkhongjang in Noney district
- MLA Karam Shyam accuses Okram Joy of threatening his workers, files complaint to Election Commission
- Scuffles continue between Congress party and NPP in Wangoi AC
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.