Imphal, 20 December 2016 ( Evening News ) : Police today fired tear gas shells as protestors intensified counter blockade against the UNC's indefinite economic blockade at Khonghampat. A large number of people came out on the road since early morning and halted vehicles coming from Imphal towards Sekmai. They checked the vehicles before turning them back towards Imphal. 17 large bags containing second hand clothes which were pulled down from a BRTF vehicle in the wee hours today were also lying near the road. They halted a Bolero jeep which came along with police vehicles around 11am. This resulted in confrontation between the police personnel and the protestors. The protestors asked the police to turn back and did not allow movement of all vehicles on the road. They pulled out the second hand clothes from the bags and set them on fire in the middle of the road. When the tussle between the crowd and police was going on, a team of Imphal West police reached the spot and fired tear gas shells to control the crowd. Protestors also pelted stones at the police forcing the police to fire numerous tear gas shells to control the mob. It took nearly half an hour to put the situation under control.
Police fire tear gas shells as people intensify counter blockade at Khonghampat since early morning
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- CM launches CIS National Core Version 1.0 of the Manipur High Court; Assures of non-interference by the Govt in court proceedings
- Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren lights the festival fire marking the opening of Barak Spring Festival 2017
- JNIMS director Prof Deben asserts there is evidence against the suspended staff
- Anti-corruption cell holds review meeting to discuss 25 corruption cases in different departments
- Manipur's oldest regional party MPP ousts N. Sovakiran as party's president on charges of embezzling party fund and maladministration
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.