Imphal, 28 October 2016 ( Evening News ) : A 41-year-old Manipuri woman, reportedly a beauty parlour owner in New Delhi, has been sentenced to death by the Malaysian High Court for trafficking over 1.6 kg of drugs. Sangeeta Sharma Brahmacharimayum was found guilty of trafficking in 1.6 kg of methamphetamine on October 7, 2013 at the Penang International Airport. She was charged under the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, which carries a mandatory death sentence on conviction. The Star Online reported that Sangeeta, who appeared subdued when the decision was conveyed to her by a court interpreter in George Town in Penang State, broke down later. Judicial Commissioner Azmi Ariffin ruled that the prosecution had succeeded in proving its case beyond a reasonable doubt. He said he found Sangeeta, the former sister-in-law of a senior police officer, had knowledge of the drug in the suitcase she was carrying and, hence, was not an innocent carrier as was raised in her defence. Sangeeta was a beauty parlour owner in New Delhi, media reports said. Azmi said Sangeeta had testified in court that she came to Malaysia to start a business, buying and selling clothes from India to Malaysia, on the encouragement of a Nigerian man named Prince. The Star Online report said Prince had instructed the accused to hand the suitcase containing clothes to his brother and sister-in-law who would meet her at the Penang International Airport upon arrival. Azmi noted that the accused had only known Prince for a year and had met with him several times in that period.
A 41-year-old Manipuri woman has been sentenced to death by Malaysian High Court for trafficking drug
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- 17th The Great June uprising & Unity Day observed
- Prime Minister Modi assures Union Government's assistance to Chief Ministers from flood-affected States
- Union Home Minister has directed the Home Secretary to provide immediate help for the flood affected people : CM Biren
- Health Minister affirms construction of District Hospitals at Sagolmang and Kyamgei
- National General Secretary of BJP, Arun Singh claims BJP will win both seats of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019 in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.