Imphal, 26 July 2016 ( Evening News) : Irom Sharmila chanu who is on an indefinite fast demanding repeal of AFSPA from Manipur said she has decided to contest the upcoming assembly polls as an independent candidate. Sharmila is going to break her fast which she has been observing for the last almost 16 years. Frustrated at the lack of support from the people Sharmila today told media persons that she is tired of fighting alone. She expressed her desire to contest the upcoming general election as an independent candidate and her cause will be anti AFSPA. Sharmila has been on fast since Nov 2, 2000 demanding removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast, will contest in upcoming Manipur elections
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Two minor sisters die in road accident in Oinam bazar
- Many areas in Imphal experience first flood of the year after a heavy shower
- Cheiraoba shoppers throng Khwairamband bazar, governor and chief minister greet people on Cheiraoba
- N.Biren meets PM Modi for the first time after becoming the chief minister of Manipur
- Atleast 10 killed in a Tourist Passenger bus accident at Maram; another accident claims 7 lives at Khongsang.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.