Imphal, 26 July 2016 ( Evening News) : Irom Sharmila chanu who is on an indefinite fast demanding repeal of AFSPA from Manipur said she has decided to contest the upcoming assembly polls as an independent candidate. Sharmila is going to break her fast which she has been observing for the last almost 16 years. Frustrated at the lack of support from the people Sharmila today told media persons that she is tired of fighting alone. She expressed her desire to contest the upcoming general election as an independent candidate and her cause will be anti AFSPA. Sharmila has been on fast since Nov 2, 2000 demanding removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast, will contest in upcoming Manipur elections
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- MLA Joykishan slams Delhi Government's indifference to people of the North-East
- Traffic violators fined during Mega Traffic Lok Adalat, people asked to follow traffic rules to prevent accidents
- Coalition for Indigenes Rights Campaign Manipur observes National Repentance Day at Manipur palace
- Students injured as police baton-charge AMSU protestors demanding release of MOBC scholarship
- India will not develop without the development of the north east region: Babul Supriyo
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.