Imphal, 26 July 2016 ( Evening News) : Irom Sharmila chanu who is on an indefinite fast demanding repeal of AFSPA from Manipur said she has decided to contest the upcoming assembly polls as an independent candidate. Sharmila is going to break her fast which she has been observing for the last almost 16 years. Frustrated at the lack of support from the people Sharmila today told media persons that she is tired of fighting alone. She expressed her desire to contest the upcoming general election as an independent candidate and her cause will be anti AFSPA. Sharmila has been on fast since Nov 2, 2000 demanding removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast, will contest in upcoming Manipur elections
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Sit-in protest against the arrest of Aribam Rikesh
- Congress Spokesperson Khumukcham Joykisan demands the state Govt to clarify if the ceasefire between NSCN-IM and Indian Govt includes Manipur
- Chief Minister, Nongthombam Biren launches pradhan mantri dialysis programme; patients to receive free dialysis under the programme
- At least 2000 houses and paddy fields have been submerged under flood waters in Khundrakpam
- Minister Biswajit discusses trade prospects between Manipur and Baoshan in agriculture, hand-loom and handicrafts products
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.