Imphal, 26 July 2016 ( Evening News) : Irom Sharmila chanu who is on an indefinite fast demanding repeal of AFSPA from Manipur said she has decided to contest the upcoming assembly polls as an independent candidate. Sharmila is going to break her fast which she has been observing for the last almost 16 years. Frustrated at the lack of support from the people Sharmila today told media persons that she is tired of fighting alone. She expressed her desire to contest the upcoming general election as an independent candidate and her cause will be anti AFSPA. Sharmila has been on fast since Nov 2, 2000 demanding removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast, will contest in upcoming Manipur elections
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- CM launches CIS National Core Version 1.0 of the Manipur High Court; Assures of non-interference by the Govt in court proceedings
- Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren lights the festival fire marking the opening of Barak Spring Festival 2017
- JNIMS director Prof Deben asserts there is evidence against the suspended staff
- Anti-corruption cell holds review meeting to discuss 25 corruption cases in different departments
- Manipur's oldest regional party MPP ousts N. Sovakiran as party's president on charges of embezzling party fund and maladministration
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.