Imphal, 26 July 2016 ( Evening News) : Irom Sharmila chanu who is on an indefinite fast demanding repeal of AFSPA from Manipur said she has decided to contest the upcoming assembly polls as an independent candidate. Sharmila is going to break her fast which she has been observing for the last almost 16 years. Frustrated at the lack of support from the people Sharmila today told media persons that she is tired of fighting alone. She expressed her desire to contest the upcoming general election as an independent candidate and her cause will be anti AFSPA. Sharmila has been on fast since Nov 2, 2000 demanding removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast, will contest in upcoming Manipur elections
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Candidates sign UCM and CCSK Manipur “Pledge to the People of Manipur” on framework agreement
- Political parties intensify election campaign, PM Modi to speak at a election rally at Langjing Achouba tomorrow
- In the first attack on candidate in the 11th assembly elections, gunmen ambush Gaikhangam in Thingkhongjang in Noney district
- MLA Karam Shyam accuses Okram Joy of threatening his workers, files complaint to Election Commission
- Scuffles continue between Congress party and NPP in Wangoi AC
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.