Imphal, 19 May 2018 ( Evening News ) : The 36-hour General Strike called on by the JAC Against Unnatural Shifting of District Hospital, Imphal East Sagolmang has affected normal lives in the state. As part of the strike, Khurai and Khundrakpam Constituencies wore a deserted look. Supporters of the bandh took to the streets and blocked the roads with piled-up logs and burned tyres. Business halted at Lamlong Bazaar and Khurai. Bandh-supporters also blocked the connecting road between Imphal and Ukhrul at Lamlong Bazar. Protestors also blocked roads in different areas of Khundrakpam constituency particularly, Purabi, Keibi Heikak Makhong, Taret Khun, Sagolmang Bazar, Yumnam Khunou, Sambei and Khundrakpam Mayai Leikai. Vigilant security personnel including Riot Control Vehicles are posted in Khundrakpam constituency to monitor any untoward incident resulting from the strike. The General Strike however failed to affect Imphal City, especially Khwairamband market where normal business transactions are being carried out as usual. It may be mentioned that the 36-hour Strike was called by the JAC in retaliation against the Government's decision to shift the construction site of Imphal East District Hospital from Sagolmang to Kyamgei. Kuki Inpi Sagolmang has also declared to support the JAC in this regard. The General Strike will continue till 5PM of May 20.
JAC's 36 hour General Strike over Imphal East District Hospital Sagolmang row, affects normal lives; Imphal City remains unaffected
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Government suspends all telecom services except voice calls for next five days
- Government introduces 3 bills on the 1st day of Monsoon Assembly Session
- Government suspends Sub-Inspector of Manipur Police and a Constable for inhumane conducts toward students protestors
- Five major student organisations AMSU, MSF, SUK, AIMS and KSA resolve to support MUSU's 48 hour general strike
- Students sustain injury as agitating students burn effigies and storm CM’s bungalow
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.