Imphal, 21 April 2018 ( Evening News ) : Protestors against the arrest of two executive members of Sagolmang Village Development Committee blocked Imphal-Saikul road today. Both Police and people sustained injuries in the scuffles that ensued. On the other hand, women of Khundrakpam Constituency declared various intense agitations including naked protest against the relocation of the proposed Imphal East District Hospital from Sagolmang. People burnt up tyres and blocked the Imphal-Saikul road against the arrest of General Secretary of Sagolmang Village Development Committee, Sorokhaibam Inaobi and committee’s assistant general secretary Laishram Vikram by the police this morning. A police team led by Additional SP of Imphal East rushed at the spot to contain the situation. However, police resorted to tear gas shells and smoke bombs when male protestors pelted stones using catapults at them as they were trying to talk it out with the women protestors. Two police personnel and some protestors sustained injuries in the incident. It maybe mentioned that yesterday afternoon, Sagolmang Village Committee, Women Provision Committee and Progressive Youth Club Sagolmang organised a meeting at Sagolmang Community Hall including the Advisor of PDCC, BC Tekcham and two members of the committee in connection with the construction of the District Hospital at Sagolmang. Sources said, BC Tekcham set aside the interest of the people of Sagolmang regarding the construction of the hospital and gave an indecent respond. Subsequently, the meeting resolved to ex communicate BC Tekcham from any organisations and issues of the locality. Tekcham later filed a police complaint against the Village Development Committee citing physical harassment by the villagers.The police arrested the two members of the village committee acting on the complaint. Meanwhile agitated people of Sagolmang demanded unconditional release of the two arrested failing which they warned to continue blocking the Imphal Saikul road. They also warned of naked protest similar to the one in front of Kangla Gate a few years ago if the Government does not revoke its decision of shifting the construction site for the District Hospital from Sagolmang.
Naked protest warned in District Hospital row
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Women vendors of Ima Market say no to formation of Autonomous Naga Territorial Council and Common Naga Cultural Body in Manipur by staging a Sit-In
- Opposition leader Ibobi says the day Congress and JDS alliance was invited to form Karnataka Government rescued the Country's democracy
- Clashes break out between Protestors and Police Personnal; one person injured during the 36 hour General Strike
- JAC's 36 hour General Strike over Imphal East District Hospital Sagolmang row, affects normal lives; Imphal City remains unaffected
- Single largest party in 11th Manipur Assembly election, Congress meet Governor; stake claim to form Government
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.