Imphal, 05 April 2018 ( Evening News ) : India has won one gold and one silver on the opening day of the Goldcoast Commonwealth Games today. Reigning World Champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu won India's first Gold Medal. She won the coveted yellow metal in the 48 kg category with a total lift of 196 kg. Weightlifter P Gururaja opened India's medal account by claiming a silver in the men's 56kg category. The 25-year-old Gururaja, making his Commonwealth Games debut, equalled his personal best of 249kg to finish second in a field. Malaysia's three-time Commonwealth Championships medallist Muhammad Izhar Ahmed won the Gold, while Sri Lanka's Lakmal Chaturanga collected the Bronze. In men's team badminton competition, Indian shuttlers blanked Sri Lanka in a largely lop-sided preliminary clash of the event. In women's team table-tennis, India thrashed Sri Lanka 3-0 in a group match. However, in Women's Hockey India made a disappointing start. The team went down 2-3 to Wales, after trailing for most of the Group A clash.
Reigning World Champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bags India's first Gold Medal on the opening day of the Goldcoast CG 2018
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- MPCC delegates led by Former CM Okram Ibobi leave Imphal to meet Prime Minister
- 17th The Great June uprising & Unity Day observed
- Prime Minister Modi assures Union Government's assistance to Chief Ministers from flood-affected States
- Union Home Minister has directed the Home Secretary to provide immediate help for the flood affected people : CM Biren
- Health Minister affirms construction of District Hospitals at Sagolmang and Kyamgei
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.