Imphal, 24 February 2018 ( Evening News ) : As part of the “interactive sessions” with renowned persons of the state on inclusion of Meetei/Meitei in the ST List , representatives of Co-ordinating Committee of Schedule Tribe Demand Committee and Schedule Tribe Demand Committee Manipur met Retd. Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Prof. H. Tombi on its 13th edition of the Interactive Sessions at his residence, in Tera Yengkhom Leirak today. Speaking on why Meetei/Meitei should be included in ST List, Prof. Tombi said unchecked influx of migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh has endangered our race. He said the migraints will increased with the coming of railway into the state. Tombi maintained that, if Meetei/Meitei comminuty is included in the ST list, the constitution of the country will protect the region. He said, Meetei/Meitei constitutes only 46 percent of the population in the State, and that there is apprehension of Meitei/Meetei becoming minority like Tripuri in Tripura if the population of Meetei/Meitei decreases. Tombi said, Meetei/Meitei qualifies all the criteria of ST as per the constitution of India however the forefathers had mistaken identity of Meetei/Meitei and acquired general status after following Hinduism. He maintained inclusion of Meitei/Meetei in the ST list will improve relationship between the people of the hills and valley.
Former Vice Chancellor of MU, H. Tombi expresses apprehension over demographic imbalance; says Meitei/Meetei may soon become minority
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- 17th The Great June uprising & Unity Day observed
- Prime Minister Modi assures Union Government's assistance to Chief Ministers from flood-affected States
- Union Home Minister has directed the Home Secretary to provide immediate help for the flood affected people : CM Biren
- Health Minister affirms construction of District Hospitals at Sagolmang and Kyamgei
- National General Secretary of BJP, Arun Singh claims BJP will win both seats of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019 in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.