Imphal, 24 February 2018 ( Evening News ) : As part of the “interactive sessions” with renowned persons of the state on inclusion of Meetei/Meitei in the ST List , representatives of Co-ordinating Committee of Schedule Tribe Demand Committee and Schedule Tribe Demand Committee Manipur met Retd. Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Prof. H. Tombi on its 13th edition of the Interactive Sessions at his residence, in Tera Yengkhom Leirak today. Speaking on why Meetei/Meitei should be included in ST List, Prof. Tombi said unchecked influx of migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh has endangered our race. He said the migraints will increased with the coming of railway into the state. Tombi maintained that, if Meetei/Meitei comminuty is included in the ST list, the constitution of the country will protect the region. He said, Meetei/Meitei constitutes only 46 percent of the population in the State, and that there is apprehension of Meitei/Meetei becoming minority like Tripuri in Tripura if the population of Meetei/Meitei decreases. Tombi said, Meetei/Meitei qualifies all the criteria of ST as per the constitution of India however the forefathers had mistaken identity of Meetei/Meitei and acquired general status after following Hinduism. He maintained inclusion of Meitei/Meetei in the ST list will improve relationship between the people of the hills and valley.
Former Vice Chancellor of MU, H. Tombi expresses apprehension over demographic imbalance; says Meitei/Meetei may soon become minority
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- People celebrate Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba with traditional fervour and gaiety
- Minor Irrigation department says lack of co-operations among various departments of the State hinders developmental works
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates 4 projects and lays foundation stones of 7 projects including National Sports University
- Andro Police arrests four alleged culprits involved in the Yairipok Lai Haraoba incident
- Chief Minister Biren visits different destitute homes and mentally retarded centre
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.