Imphal, 25 November 2017 ( Evening News ) : Tobacco use has increased in Manipur, Assam and Tripura against an overall decline in the country between 2009-2017. According to the regional report of the second round of Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) 2016-17 of North Eastern states, all the states have shown a significant decline to second-hand smoke (SHS) exposure at workplace while it has increased in Assam by 3 per cent. The report highlights that the overall tobacco use prevalence in India has declined from 34.6 per cent to 28.6 per cent between 2009-10 and 2016-17 except for Assam and Tripura where it increased considerably and marginally in Manipur. In Manipur, tobacco use increased from 54.1 to 55.1 per cent when all other states have shown a decline with Sikkim registering a remarkable fall from 41.6 to 17.9 per cent. Exposure to SHS at public places has improved across the region with a sharp decline in Manipur, Meghalaya and Nagaland though slightly above the national average. The initiation age has declined, which means more people began using tobacco at an earlier age in three states — Arunachal, Nagaland and Sikkim — from 17.5 in 2009-2010 to 15.9 in 2016-17. The initiation age has increased in the other five NE states with the most significant being Manipur from 19.1 years to 20.8 years.
Study says tobacco use has increased in Manipur, Assam and Tripura
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- MAHUD Minister Thounaojam Shyamkumar appeals to Manipuri women to give up Kwa Zarda
- Manipur remembers historic Nupi Laal, Biren appeals for women's participation in efforts to bring harmony in Manipur
- Lack of adequate Infrastructure at Women's ITI centre at Takyel creates apprehensions among the students regarding their trainings outcome
- All Manipur DPC completed re - recruitment candidate Of police Constable Male, 2016 K.Jayenta Singh Batch withdraws its call for statewide total shut down
- CM has stated that more police check posts will be constructed at different places of the state
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.