Imphal, 21 September 2017 ( Evening News ) : Coalition for Indigenes Rights Campaign Manipur, CIRCA today observed the National Repentance Day at the palace. The day is observed to commemorate the day on which the merger agreement was signed between the Governor General of India and the Maharajah of Manipur in September 1949. It was on October 15 1949 when Maharaja Bodhachandra Singh conceded “full and exclusive authority, jurisdiction and powers for and in relation to the governance of the State” to Dominion Government of India through the Manipur Merger Agreement, signed on 21st September 1949. Speaking at the event, Co-Convenor of CIRCA, Golmei Poushing said although the people of Manipur are aware that it was a sovereign state once upon a time, they seem to have completely forgotten that it was a forced merger with the state of India. Golmei expressed dissatisfaction with the fact that most people have decided not to give a serious thought to the story behind the merger. He lamented that the original cultures and traditions became diluted due to external forces. The flag with Pakhngba emblem was flown at half mast at the event and the attendees observed two minute silence. People form different walks of life took part in the observance.
Coalition for Indigenes Rights Campaign Manipur observes National Repentance Day at Manipur palace
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- 17th The Great June uprising & Unity Day observed
- Prime Minister Modi assures Union Government's assistance to Chief Ministers from flood-affected States
- Union Home Minister has directed the Home Secretary to provide immediate help for the flood affected people : CM Biren
- Health Minister affirms construction of District Hospitals at Sagolmang and Kyamgei
- National General Secretary of BJP, Arun Singh claims BJP will win both seats of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019 in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.