Imphal, 16 September 2017 ( Evening News ) : Forest minister and Environment Minister Thounaojam Shyamkumar today urged the people to protect the environment and plant trees on World Ozone day. The minister asserted that the deteriorating environment can only protected when one owns up responsibilities to protect the nature. He was speaking at the observance of World Ozone Day organised by Directorate of Environment under the aegis of Department of Forest and Environment at GP Women’s College. Shyamkumar maintained that although maximum number of students choose to study science, the uses of science are rarely translated into action. While appealing to people to plant trees and protect them, Shyamkumar said trees absorb the harmful Carbon dioxide gas and produce the useful oxygen. He said trees provide shade and innumerable benefits to the people. The Dept is also doing its best by distributing free saplings to people. Professor, N. Rajmuhon of Manipur university who spoke as resource person spoke on the significance of observance of World Ozone Day, depletion of Ozone layer, its affects on human beings, precautions, etc. World Ozone day is held on September 16 to mark the day back in 1987 when the Montreal Protocol was signed. As a result, a number of special events such as talks and seminars are held in the Canadian city of Montreal on this day. World Ozone Day has been celebrated since 1994 and was established by the United Nations General Assembly. The day is mainly intended to spread awareness of the depletion of the Ozone Layer and search for solutions to preserve it. World Ozone Day is also celebrated all around the world. Educators usually set aside this day to teach their students about the Ozone layer and many schools organize special events and activities to raise awareness.
Forest minister Shyamkumar urges people to protect environment and plant trees on World Ozone day
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- MAHUD Minister Thounaojam Shyamkumar appeals to Manipuri women to give up Kwa Zarda
- Manipur remembers historic Nupi Laal, Biren appeals for women's participation in efforts to bring harmony in Manipur
- Lack of adequate Infrastructure at Women's ITI centre at Takyel creates apprehensions among the students regarding their trainings outcome
- All Manipur DPC completed re - recruitment candidate Of police Constable Male, 2016 K.Jayenta Singh Batch withdraws its call for statewide total shut down
- CM has stated that more police check posts will be constructed at different places of the state
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.