Imphal, 25 June 2017 ( Evening News ) : Celebration of Kang also known as Rath Yatra festival began with pomp and gaiety in Manipur today. Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren along with his Council of Ministers and titular king, Leishemba Sanajaoba kicked off the festival. The idols of Shri Jaganatha, Shri Balarama and Shri Subhadra, replicas of the Lord Jagannatha, his brother Balarama and sister Subhadra of Puri, Orissa were drawn in the Rath (car) of Shri Jagannatha to begin the festival. On the occasion of the festival, the Chief Minister appealed to all to bring about peace and harmony among all communities of the state. People from different age groups thronged the Shree Shree Govindajee temple complex at Palace compound to take part in the event. There is popular belief that a person who participates in the Kang festival at the palace compound is warded off all the evils for a year. It may be recalled that Maharaj Gambhir Singh had begun the Kang festival in 1832 for the first time. The day is being observed since then. Once the Kangchingba of the palace is complete, locals of all parts of the state would perform Kangchingba. In the evening, khubak ishei will be performed at Lord Jaganath Mandop.
Rath Yatra festival began with pomp and gaiety in Manipur
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Former Vice Chancellor of MU, H. Tombi expresses apprehension over demographic imbalance; says Meitei/Meetei may soon become minority
- CM Biren opens the 3rd Annual Convention for enhancing ties between Indian and ASEAN Countries
- Council of Higher Secondary Education Manipur's class 12 examination, 2018 begins today; allegedly leaked question paper turns out to be fake
- Ministers including CM Biren give best wishes to students appearing in class 10 and 12 examinations 2018
- State wide 42- hour bandh called by Kangleipak Communists Party (KCP) Military Council affects normal life in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.