Imphal, 25 June 2017 ( Evening News ) : Celebration of Kang also known as Rath Yatra festival began with pomp and gaiety in Manipur today. Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren along with his Council of Ministers and titular king, Leishemba Sanajaoba kicked off the festival. The idols of Shri Jaganatha, Shri Balarama and Shri Subhadra, replicas of the Lord Jagannatha, his brother Balarama and sister Subhadra of Puri, Orissa were drawn in the Rath (car) of Shri Jagannatha to begin the festival. On the occasion of the festival, the Chief Minister appealed to all to bring about peace and harmony among all communities of the state. People from different age groups thronged the Shree Shree Govindajee temple complex at Palace compound to take part in the event. There is popular belief that a person who participates in the Kang festival at the palace compound is warded off all the evils for a year. It may be recalled that Maharaj Gambhir Singh had begun the Kang festival in 1832 for the first time. The day is being observed since then. Once the Kangchingba of the palace is complete, locals of all parts of the state would perform Kangchingba. In the evening, khubak ishei will be performed at Lord Jaganath Mandop.
Rath Yatra festival began with pomp and gaiety in Manipur
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- MLA Joykishan slams Delhi Government's indifference to people of the North-East
- Traffic violators fined during Mega Traffic Lok Adalat, people asked to follow traffic rules to prevent accidents
- Coalition for Indigenes Rights Campaign Manipur observes National Repentance Day at Manipur palace
- Students injured as police baton-charge AMSU protestors demanding release of MOBC scholarship
- India will not develop without the development of the north east region: Babul Supriyo
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.