Imphal, 24 June 2017 ( Evening News ) : Although Universities across the globe do not allow entry of men in arms on the university campus, it is totally the opposite in case of Manipur University. There is an Assam Rifles military post on the university campus. Students have the feeling of entering a military zone when they see armoured vehicles and army personnel roam around with weapons in hand. Speaking to media persons, president of Manipur University Students Union (MUSU), Buchi Mayanglambam alleged that the security personnel manning the main gate of the university check all students when they enter the campus, however the armed forces enter and exit the campus at their will without going through any checks. He said MUSU and CSOs of the state have been demanding shifting of Assam Rifles post for the last 30 years. Buchi vowed to press for its removal this time around. He also appealed to CSOs, Student Unions and people living in and around the University to extend all possible support in their demand. The MUSU president also expressed dissatisfaction over negligence of the new vice chancellor in the academics of the university. He stated that although the university is centralised, it does not feature in the top 100 universities of the country. He held the vice chancellor responsible for the university's failure to feature in the top 100, while Mizoram and Assam universities in neighbouring states feature in the list. He alleged that due to the VC's negligence the teachers have begun to neglect their duties as well. Buch said the VC not only arrives late, but he is on frequent leaves. MUSU has been demanding for a pro VC, but in vain. Buchi threatened of closure of VC office and non cooperation movement by the students, if he does not arrive on time. He also said students are dissatisfied over the working style of engineering cell of the university. He alleged that many buildings that were constructed years ago, are still in a non functional state and said MUSU will look into their work.
MUSU demands shifting of Assam Rifles post from university campus, threatens with closure of VC office
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Former Vice Chancellor of MU, H. Tombi expresses apprehension over demographic imbalance; says Meitei/Meetei may soon become minority
- CM Biren opens the 3rd Annual Convention for enhancing ties between Indian and ASEAN Countries
- Council of Higher Secondary Education Manipur's class 12 examination, 2018 begins today; allegedly leaked question paper turns out to be fake
- Ministers including CM Biren give best wishes to students appearing in class 10 and 12 examinations 2018
- State wide 42- hour bandh called by Kangleipak Communists Party (KCP) Military Council affects normal life in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.