Imphal, 11 June 2017 ( Evening News ) : The Arambam Somorendro Trust organised a one day symposium on "Conversations on Contemporary Issues: Changing Discourse on Human Rights in Manipur and The Government of India-NSCN(IM) Political Dialogue and Implications for the Future Of Manipur" at Lamyanba Shanglen today. The symposium was organised as part of 17th Arambam Somorendra Martyrdom Anniversary. Speaking on “Human Rights in Manipur”, Director of Human Rights Alert, Babloo Loitongbam pointed out that the rights of the people of Manipur to speak or assemble during a crisis has been lost in the 1990's. People have been revolting against AFSPA for a long time and that the security forces have been involved in many extra judicial killings. Out of the 1528 cases of extra judicial killings, the supreme court will take up 700 cases. He said there is fear of a few cases being eradicated and that it is time we discussed about further steps. Chairperson of Arambam Somorendro Trust, Dr. Lokendra Arambam spoke on "The Government of India-NSCN(IM) Political Dialogue and Implications for the Future Of Manipur". It was moderated by Chairperson of North East Co-ordination Committee on Human Rights, Advocate Chongthamcha Surjit. Members of various civil society organisations and many intellectuals were present on the occasion.
Freedom of Speech and Assembly in Manipur was been lost in the 1990's : Human Rights activist
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Former Vice Chancellor of MU, H. Tombi expresses apprehension over demographic imbalance; says Meitei/Meetei may soon become minority
- CM Biren opens the 3rd Annual Convention for enhancing ties between Indian and ASEAN Countries
- Council of Higher Secondary Education Manipur's class 12 examination, 2018 begins today; allegedly leaked question paper turns out to be fake
- Ministers including CM Biren give best wishes to students appearing in class 10 and 12 examinations 2018
- State wide 42- hour bandh called by Kangleipak Communists Party (KCP) Military Council affects normal life in Manipur
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.