Imphal, 15 April 2017 ( Evening News ) : In what may be described as the first sign of a crack in the BJP-led Manipur government, Health Minister L. Jayentakumar tendered his resignation yesterday. The NPP leader submitted his resignation letter to Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren. In his resignation letter, Jayentakumar said he was not consulted before the suspension of the health director, Dr O. Ibomcha. Dr Ibomcha was suspended recently. Putting that down as the reason for his resignation, Jayentakumar said the manner in which the health director was suspended was an interference in his work as a minister. The BJP is leading a coalition government in Manipur after finishing second in this year's Assembly elections. Congress won 28 of Manipur's 60 Assembly seats. The BJP managed to put together a majority with the support of four MLAs each of National People's Party, NPP, Naga People's Front, one from Trinamool Congress, one Independent and one Congress MLA who defected to the BJP. With the majority, the BJP was able to install the N Biren Singh-led government, which completes one month in office today. This is the first BJP-led government in Manipur. Chief Minister N. Biren Singh is in Odisha to participate in the BJP's National Executive.
Minister Jayentakumar refuses to divulge reason behind his resignation, to wait until chief minister returns
Latest from Jitendra ( Admin)
- Sit-in protest against the arrest of Aribam Rikesh
- Congress Spokesperson Khumukcham Joykisan demands the state Govt to clarify if the ceasefire between NSCN-IM and Indian Govt includes Manipur
- Chief Minister, Nongthombam Biren launches pradhan mantri dialysis programme; patients to receive free dialysis under the programme
- At least 2000 houses and paddy fields have been submerged under flood waters in Khundrakpam
- Minister Biswajit discusses trade prospects between Manipur and Baoshan in agriculture, hand-loom and handicrafts products
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.